Zoe Jakes Dance Residency
for Advanced Professional Dancers
Act Creation, Coaching & Advanced Training
July 24 - Aug 1, 2024
Join us for an 8 day dance residency for professional dancers with master teacher Zoe Jakes on the beautiful Greek Island of Crete!
OUR CREATIVE FOCUS
This dance residency offers a unique opportunity for professional career dancers to explore aspects of their performance and deeply study areas such as theatricality, artists mindset and how to develop connection with the audience. The group will be kept small to ensure focused attention and feedback.
Participants will train in advanced Bellydance technique and dance conditioning, learn about act creation and have the opportunity for 1 to 1 coaching with Zoe to receive feedback on a work in progress.
The final day of this residency will conclude with a Live Performance collaboration in the historical town of Chania – offering participants a chance to showcase their developments and skills.
LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Applicants must have at least 6-7 years of solid dance training and should be working towards a career goal as a professional performer. While it is not necessary that applicants perform strictly Zoe’s dance style, the motivation for joining this training should be a sincere desire to improve as a professional performing artist.
VILLA SHAKTI CRETE
Villa Shakti Crete is a beautiful sanctuary of art and yoga on the Greek island of Crete where Shakti Summer School Greece takes place – hosting a variety of different Dance, Yoga, Ayurveda and Embodiment Teachings with master teachers from around the world. Colleena Shakti and the Villa Shakti team welcomes you home to the vibrant nature, rugged mountains and sparkling beaches of the ‘sunset side’ of the island. This home of intentional art offers you a chance to rejuvenate, re-center and create art without distraction. Healthy home cooked meals and Greek village hospitality awaits you!
This Zoe Jakes Dance Residency requires an application. Acceptance into the program will be determined by the teacher based on responses and video link provided in the application (see below for Application link).
Please have a look at accommodation options, prices are based on your chosen accommodation. This program fills first come first serve, so to secure a place in this intimate professional immersion, please fill out your application soon!
Advance your dance performance to a new level!
Please fill out this application thoroughly.
We recommend emailing us once you have completed your application to be sure it was received. If you encounter any technical issues, please contact us immediately at: email@example.com
(2 per room, shared bathroom, includes meals and transport)
The rooms at Villa Shakti includes bath towel set, Greek beach towel, bedding and blankets, table fan, WIFI, access to apartment kitchen, spacious living room and dining area, cable TV. Places are limited. The house is strictly vegetarian.
- 31 hours Training per week
- Double Share Room at Villa Shakti (7 nights)
- 19 Healthy Vegetarian meals per week (3 meals out which are not covered)
- Transportation (see transportation section for more details)
(up to 4 per room, shared bathroom, includes meals and transport)
These traditional restored apartments are a 10 minute walk from Villa Shakti on peaceful a country road. The apartments are in a rustic traditional village with a plentiful organic garden, traditional orthodox church, goats, a fresh spring fountain and many flowers!
- 31 hours Training per week
- Dorm room at Village Apartments (10-15 minute walk from studio)
- 19 Healthy Vegetarian meals per week (3 dinners at local tavernas are not covered)
- Transportation (see transportation section for more details)
(Includes lunch only. Does not Include any transport.)
If you are looking for more privacy, you will find many other villas and rentals nearby our village of Aikirgiannis (Topolia). We suggest you have a look at Airbnb or booking.com. We recommend looking in the Topolia area and no farther than Kissamos so travel time to classes are not an issue. You can use the FB event page to post if you are looking for others to share a villa with you. You will need your own rental car for this option. Greece is a very popular summer destination so book soon!
- 31 hours Training
- 9 Healthy Vegetarian meals per week
- Transportation *NOT INCLUDED* (please rent a car or taxi to join day trips)
Sample daily schedule:
- 9-10 am Breakfast
- 10-1pm Studio Session: Advanced Dance Training
- 2pm Lunch
- 3-6pm Studio Session: Theatricality, Artists Mindset, Musicality, etc -OR- DAYTRIP TO LOCAL BEACH
- 8pm Sunset Dinner -OR- Dinner out in Local Taverna
- Final Day (July 31) Evening Performance in the historical town of Chania.
Our in-house catering team are mainly local Greek women (and a passionate Italian) who love cooking! We enjoy offering a healthy Vegetarian take on local Cretan recipes. Cretan and Greek cuisine is full of roasted vegetables, rices dishes, cucumber salads and of course, a decadent selection of homemade local cheeses! Occasionally we change up the menu by preparing mild Ayurvedic Indian food or Italian pasta, etc. All meals are served buffet style – all you can eat! Special dietary needs such as vegan, gluten free, and allergies can be catered to with prior notice.
*Our villa is strictly Vegetarian in celebration of life! Yet we can offer you local goat, sheep and cow cheese and a range of farm to table dairy products.
Breakfast: Coffee/tea, fruit, toast and spreads, yogurt, granola, porridge, smoothie.
Lunch: Main dish, 2 salads, bakery breads, spreads, vegetable side dishes, local olive oil/olives, ice teas infusions.
Dinner: Main dish, salads, bakery breads, spreads, bean dish, vegetable side dishes, local olive oil / olives, and desert!
WEEKLY MEAL PLAN:
Thursday (Check IN Day) – Welcome dinner trip to our favorite local Taverna! (*Dinner Out)
Fri/Sun/Tues – Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Sat/Mon/Wed-Breakfast, Lunch (*Dinner Out)
Thursday (Check OUT Day) – Farewell Brunch
JULY 24 is ARRIVAL DAY. Please check-in between the hours of 5 & 8 pm to Villa Shakti*
Guests will want to arrive to the closest airport: Chania (CHQ). Airport it is a 1 hour drive to the villa. Heraklion is 3-4 hours drive. Students are requested to arrive in time for welcome circle & orientation on July 24.
Most visitors on Crete rent a car to enjoy exploring the wild nature and beaches. This is what we always recommend to guests since there are many secret beaches and isolated trails to discover on the Western side of the island within an hours drive, however for our onsite guests transportation is provided.
*Late check-in is not allowed (after 8 pm). If you will be arriving beyond our check-in hours, we request that you book a hotel or airbnb in Chania or near our area and arrive by 8 am to Villa Shakti on July 25.
Guests will want to arrive to the closest airport: Chania (CHQ). Airport it is a 1 hour drive to the villa. Heraklion is 3-4 hours drive. Students are requested to arrive in time for orientation meeting on Thursday evening.
Most visitors on Crete rent a car to enjoy exploring the wild nature and beaches. This is what we always recommend to guests since there are many secret beaches and isolated trails to discover on the Western side of the island within an hours drive.
The cost of transportation is now included in your tuition. Villa Shakti is in a rural location, so please be aware buses are not an option and taxis will need to be booked in advance.
Scheduled Shuttle Transportation Includes:
(Times are fixed, no exceptions.)
ARRIVAL DAY (JULY 24):
- Chania Airport Pick up: 5 pm
- Chania Port Pick up: 6 pm
DEPARTURE DAY (AUG 4):
- Chania Airport Drop off: Thursday at 11 am
- Chania Port Drop off: Thursday at 12 pm
TRANSPORT DURING SUMMER SCHOOL:
- Day 1: trip to Milia Mountain Retreat for gourmet Cretan feast at our favorite taverna. Option to take our shuttle or do the short hike in a picturesque valley behind Villa Shakti.
- Day trip 2,3,4: BEACH DAYS! Villa Shakti is located in Western Crete where the best beaches on the island are! Naya beach resort, Balos, Elafounissi, Phalasarna, Paleochora, Drapanias, etc.
Please meet our driver at the scheduled times, the driver can not wait for late passengers. If your flight arrives or departs at another time than the scheduled shuttle pick up/drop of times, you can easily get a local taxi to/from Airport to Chania Port to enjoy some time there and then meet at the scheduled time and location to catch your ride to Villa Shakti.
If you wish to have your own car, we recommend booking online. Prices are approximately €25-45 per day / per vehicle. Non EU licensed drivers will need and International Driving License to drive in Greece.
- Taxi booked directly from Airport to Villa Shakti: Approx. €100
- Local Taxis to Kissamos or Local beaches: Local rates apply. Please book directly.
Price based on your choice of Accommodation
See the above section on Accommodation for more details
Payment Terms & COnditions
- Registration fills up ‘First Come, First Serve’ – so register soon to save your place!
- Missed payments by participants (failure to pay by payment deadline) means forfeiting your deposited amount and surrendering your spot in the program.
- Late payments will incur a $100 late fine and 1 week grace period before we give away your spot.
- Pay off your entire amount before Dec 31 – get 15% off total, before March 1 – get 10% off. After March 1st, the retreat will remain full price. Full price is: Stay at Villa Shakti or Village Apartments – $2,690 / Stay Off site – $1,905
SHAKTI SUMMER SCHOOL TERMS & CONDITIONS:
Please read carefully our updated Terms & Conditions Page before you apply, which includes: *School Cancellation Policy, *School & Villa Shakti Policies, *Health & Safety, and *Assumption of Risk. By completing your Application you must agree to our terms and conditions.
We look forward to welcoming you to Villa Shakti Crete!
For questions not already answered on this website, please contact us.