Beginning Odissi dancers, or dancers who wish to review and practice the basics. All levels welcome to join this course of foundational Odissi movements, techniques and steps. Some previous experience with chowka stepping is helpful, but not required.
Course Length & Access:
1 Month Rental / 30 day access
Suggested study schedule (hours required)::
- First day: Odissi welcome and intro video, intro to stepping (40 minutes)
- Daily (5-6 days per week)~ strength training exercises, and stepping = 1-2 hours per day
- 3 times per week – mudra practice and exercises (30-40 minutes)
- 1-2 times during course: watch 60 minute theory video and take notes
Odissi Classical Dance Fundamentals
Welcome to the world of classical Indian Odissi dance! Immerse into this highly stylized dance form which draws its roots and inspiration from temple dance traditions of the Eastern Indian state of Odisha.
Odissi: is deeply rooted in the spirit of devotional surrender and connected with temple worship traditions of the Jagannath Temple in Puri, Orissa. One of India’s classical dance forms, it is noted for its curvaceous lines and languid postures in stark contrast to it’s rapid, complex foot work and strong main posture – a deep plie known as chowka.
This online course is designed to: initiate the new dancer into basic postures, steps, techniques and codified dance vocabulary of Odissi dance through thoughtful explanations and careful repetition. Students will feel inspired and supported as they discover their potential and hone precision in these classical movements. This course is best utilized as practice support and paired with (live) synchronous online Zoom classes.
The course content includes: pre-recorded videos which impart the steps and structure Odissi basics.
Materials and Study Aids Included:
- Strength training and warm-up videos
- Mudra exercises, practice and PDF’s for your study
- Stepping breakdowns and practice for the two main positions in Odissi dance
- Quiz at the end to assess your learning progress
Suggested Study Schedule:
Aim to attend at least half of the live Zoom classes and focus on 2 sections of the choreography per week.