*This course is designed as a rental to those students who have previously learned this item in our school and have been approved to rent this course.
*This is NOT a course to learn the choreography for the first time.
Course Structure: Access: 1 month, 2 month or 3 months rental. Pre-recorded classes and practice video library
Free Flow Access. Pre-recorded classes and practice videos.
$70 for 1-month rental / $130 for 2-month rental / $190 for 3-month rental
This choreography is by Guru Kelu Charan Mohapatra, and the music is set in Ekotali (4 count rhythm). ‘Batu’ Nritta is a pure dance piece named after Batuka Bharava, a furious aspect of Lord Shiva worshipped in the region of Odisha where Guruji was born. This dance portrays the musical instruments and aharya (costume) elements of Odissi. It is considered a milestone item which all students must learn to initiate into the higher levels of Odissi dance. Powerful geometry and sculpturesque bhangi (dance postures) bring the imagery of ancient Orissan temples to life in this energetic piece.
This online course is designed to support students’ self practice with reference materials. This is a second year choreography which includes many techniques which repeat throughout the odissi style and should only be learned after completing Mangalacharan as per SSD’s syllabus.
The course is designed for those who have already learned this item and would like to polish their technique.
This course includes high quality pre-recorded classes and practice videos
The pre-recorded videos imparting the steps and structure of the choreography are to be used as reference material for self practice.
The music file is not included in this course, however you may purchase it separately, please contact SSD admin.
Materials and Study Aids Included:
- Lecture on theoretical aspects of the dance and music
- Unique ‘Stepping Practice’ series that relate to techniques found in this choreography. Breakdown video explains the steps in detail while the Runthrough is for your regular practice to develop precision and stamina in the steps.
- 5 Choreography breakdown sections
- Run through videos to practice sections together
- Full Run through slowly without music
- Full Run through with music
- Quiz at the end to assess your learning progress
Please contact us if you would like to rent this course
We will approve you for this course ONLY if you have previously learned Batu item.