Indian Fusion Formation
Level 1 - 2024
IN Pushkar, Rajasthan
An Accredited Dance Training Program with Colleena Shakti
APRIL 14 - 21, 2024
Deep dive into Colleena’s unique Indian Fusion Formation: A Certified Training Program at our home school – Shakti School of Dance (established 2005) in Pushkar, Rajasthan!
(Level 2 is scheduled August, 2024 at Shakti Summer School Greece)
April 14-21, 2024
- 1st Online Zoom Required Preparation Class: March 14, 2024
- 2nd Online Zoom Required Preparation Class: March 28, 2024
- IFF Class Days: April 14 – 20, 2024 (approx 5-6 hours per day)
- Final Day – Testing & Live Performance: April 21, 2024
WHAT IS INDIAN FUSION DANCE?
Stylistically speaking, Indian Fusion movement vocabulary is inspired by cultural dances of India and the Middle East (including its modern evolutions). This dance bridges modern and folkloric Bellydance/Raqs Sharqi vocabulary with extensive postures and spins of North Indian classical and folk dance, intricacies of eyes, hands and facial expression from Eastern Indian classical dance and draws in elements of Central Asian dances as well. Woven seamlessly together, Indian Fusion Dance is both Ancient & Modern – expressing timeless qualities and values. Learn more about IFF *HERE*
WHAT IS INDIAN FUSION FORMATION: An Accredited Training Program?
Designed for the serious fusion dance student, Indian Fusion Formation is a structured dance training program designed to progressively impart the techniques, training methods and theories behind this beautiful dance form – Indian Fusion Dance as developed by Colleena Shakti.
Indian Fusion Formation is not just a dance program, it is also a cultural immersion. Intellectual inquiry, aesthetic reflection and creative explorations are nurtured through the structured coursework and exercises defined in the program syllabus.
This program differs from other programs or workshop, the program’s holistic curriculum empowers the student to grow within a shared movement vocabulary which aims at professional level mastery. By progressing through the IFF levels, students will gain access to teaching techniques and tools in the last level (L4). Upon successful completion of the program students will have the tools to present this dance with confidence and receive the blessings to teach this material.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Level 1 vocabulary focuses on derivations of commonly known Fusion Bellydance movements with distinct movement principles from Indian dances. Indian Fusion Formation is not just a dance workshop, this training covers the following topics:
- Yoga: techniques and theory
- Warm-ups, strengthening, anga shuddhi, and supplemental exercises
- Gestures, isolation patterns and detailed micro-movements
- Level 1 Vocabulary of Indian Fusion Formation: foot positions, mudra, arm patterns, 18+ Moves, key movement principles, traveling steps, spins, transitions and 13+ phrases!
- Indian Aesthetic Theory, Brief Bellydance History & Cultural Context
- The art of being a Student / Teacher (Advanced dance skills for teaching)
- The Mind, Body & Spirit – a Holistic Vision: anatomy, kinesiology, Ayurveda self-care, and holistic yogic health.
- Vision, Mission, Values – creating your community and sharing your message
- Ethics (Fusion or Confusion, Cultural Appropriation, Orientalism, etc)
Applicants must have at least 2 years of Bellydance training and ideally some experience or interaction with an Indian dance form. Level 1 requires students to layer Bellydance movements with control and precision and have some knowledge of common ‘Tribal Fusion Bellydance’ vocabulary such as: ATS basic movements, 3/4 and 4/4 shimmy, Maya/Taxim, etc. Students should have ability to combine traveling steps, direction changes, layered isolations, etc. This dance training also requires a certain degree of fitness – to dance for 5+ hours per day. Students should have basic level of the English language, as class will be conducted in English.
WHAT IF I AM NOT CONFIDENT IN MY BELLYDANCE LEVEL, BUT I STILL WANT TO JOIN?
We have prepared a special course just for you! *IFF PRELIMINARY COURSE is available at our online school to help you feel confident and prepared for Level 1. This course includes: Full gesture/isolation vocabulary, basic ATS, Tribal Fusion, Raqs Sharqi and folkloric Egyptian dance steps used in this dance style as well as drills and a fun choreography to help you practice these steps. Even if you have studied Bellydance, we highly encourage Level 1 students to do this preparatory course as you may have learned movements with different names or in a slightly different way than how Colleena teaches them.
Included in the price is:
- 1 Month access to online ‘Level 1 Preparation Course’ which includes: practice drills, warm ups and basic vocabulary as well as lectures
- 2 Live Zoom ‘Level 1 Preparation Workshops’ and access to recordings of our 2 preparation classes
- 35-40 hours of dance/theory training live in Pushkar, Rajasthan
- Beautifully designed IFF Textbook with detailed breakdown of movement vocabulary, photographic references, reading articles, etc.
- Testing, should you chose to test and possibly receive your Level 1 Certificate
*10% Discount given when registering for more than 1 session at Shakti School of Dance
*50% Discount for returning students who have previously attended a IFF Level 1 training (book and testing not included)
*Scholarships Available – based on genuine need – for Indian Nationals who are currently residing and working in India. Please inquire by email at: email@example.com
PLEASE EMAIL US WITH ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT REGISTRATION: firstname.lastname@example.org
Daily TRaining Schedule
- 9 – 10 am: Morning Yoga / Dance Conditioning
- 11 -12:30 pm: Postures, Technique Drills
- 12:30 – 2:30 pm: Moves & Phrases –
- 5 – 6 pm: Group Study Lab
- 6 – 7 pm: Theory Class & Review
Day 1 includes a welcome lecture and opening circle. Optional Testing & Performance is on final day!
- Fill in Application – Send an email to us just to make sure your application came through
- Receive Notice of ‘Accepted’ or ‘Waitlist’ – You will be informed if you have been accepted into the program, and receive additional information about your chosen Payment Plan and links for your payments.
- Make your first Payment (full amount or non-refundable first deposit) – this is what secures your spot in the program! You will be added to our SSD Alumni Facebook Group and a Whatsapp Group, you may ask questions to our helpful dance community about travel, accommodations, general recommendations, etc
- Full Payment Completes your Registration – All payment and registration must be completed by dates specified in your payment plan agreement. Otherwise, we will offer your spot to a waitlisted student.
Through an application process students are carefully selected to assure the program is the right fit. Students are selected based on the information provided in their application.
International travellers – You MUST arrive in Pushkar at least 2 days before the course begins. You will not be permitted to join the course if you arrive the same day the school starts. Experience leads us to believe that students need sufficient rest after long travel or international flights before they begin intensive training.
If you are an Indian citizen (with an Indian passport, ID or Ration Card) and currently live and work in India – we offer a scholarship rate based on financial need. You will still be required to complete the standard application form for consideration. Please email us at: email@example.com
Students who commit to 2 or more Sessions will receive a 10% discount off their total tuition.
Shakti School of Dance is a family friendly environment, we love having your family involved in our school! Family members are welcome to observe classes and join any performance events.
PREPARE WITH OUR ONLINE COURSES!
We have launched a new online school to support you in your dance journey!
Please make sure you are on our mailing list to receive news about current courses and registration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Since we are in an active temple, all students must dress appropriately to enter or exit our school through the temple premises or they may be asked to leave. For your Indian Fusion Dance classes, once the class doors are closed, we may dress in comfortable Bellydance type clothing – leggings, choli top or skirts. We encourage you to bring a hip scarf or coin belt for Bellydance technique.
Shakti School of Dance cannot offer any support in visa matters. For this reason, we suggest you enter on a Tourist Visa, for the purpose of “sightseeing”.
There are many small guest houses in Pushkar within a 1-15 minute walk. Prices range from $10-$45 US Dollars a night. Guest houses are simple and safe. We suggest you look in a guidebook or travel forum online. It is very easy to find accommodations in Pushkar even without advance reservations. SSD does not offer help with booking accommodation, however please visit our school Facebook group page to communicate with other dancers who have come to SSD before.
We suggest you do not commit to a long term booking online until you arrive and have a look around to make sure you find a comfortable accomodation located close to the school.
Those interested in training in our Intensive programs MUST fill out the application provided on this page.
No. We only offer Indian Fusion Formation as part of a structured program. We do not offer discounts or any prorated rates. If you cannot commit at this time to the intensive, we welcome you to join us as a drop in student. Please note the *Arrival Requirements*
No. At this time, there are no scholarships or work trades available except to Indian Nationals currently living and working in India. Please write us to inquire more about these rates for Indian Nationals at: firstname.lastname@example.org
It will be *Hot* in Rajasthan! Bring your best electrolytes and light clothing.
Official Cancellation & Refund Policy
The Shakti School of Dance Odissi Intensive cancellation and refund policy is in place to guarantee the fair allocation of slots in the program to students who have been accepted and are ready to commit. Your registration payment to SSD is non refundable, returnable or transferable to a future workshop or to another person. No exceptions. Even in the case of medical or family emergencies. Please register with full awareness of the agreement you are entering into.
Payment (via Paypal), as well as the ‘Mandatory Waiver Form’ must be completed upon acceptance in the given time period to guarantee enrollment in the Intensive sessions.
*By completing your payment, you have agreed to our refund terms and conditions.